Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Standing Strong in Your Convictions

In youth on Sunday, one of my youth pastors, Mr. Joe, gave our lesson. He's such a great youth pastor because he can really relate to us. He knows what we're going through, and he knows exactly where to look for the advice he wants to give us: the Bible. In all honestly, I couldn't tell you exactly what the lesson was about on Sunday. Bits and pieces caught my attention, and I've always had the mindset that if something stands out to you and you can remember it, it was probably important. At youth, we talk about the tough issues, the issues all teenagers are facing these days. Abortions, pre-marital sex, drugs, alcohol... probably some pretty touchy subjects in most households. However, if anything, we need to be able to talk about them with someone.

The two topics that really stood out to me were abortion and saving yourself for marriage. The Bible points out that both things are wrong. I bet you didn't know that in North Carolina alone over 70 abortions are performed each day. Seriously? That's staggering to me.
Pslam 139 states, "For you created my inmost being; you knit me in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful......... All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." That is so amazing to me. GOD created ME in my mama's womb. HE knows what each of my days will hold; He has always known. What an awesome God I'm serving! The debate with abortion is when a baby actually has life, and to me I think this Bible verse points it out perfectly. GOD CREATED YOU in your mother's womb. You were a creation, a living thing.
I have a heart for people who are thinking about abortions because they feel they have no other way out. They're scared their parents will get mad at them. They're scared of losing their friends, their abilities to do certain things, just everything. I want you to know if you're reading this and you're thinking about getting an abortion, God has a plan for you and Heaven's little creation inside you. Put your life in God's hands and He will direct you where He wants you to go. Don't be afraid. Always remember: All the days ordained for YOU were written in HIS book before they ever present themselves in your life. Just hang on. God will guide you through it.

True love waits. How many of you have heard or seen this slogan in your life? It's sad that that's all it has become: a slogan. If you don't know what I'm talking about, true love waits means that you're saving yourself for marriage. 1 Thessalonians tells me, "Each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable." This is the Bible verse that relates to true love waits. As a teenager, decisions are bound to be made that can alter the plan that God has for our lives. Sex before marriage is a tangled web. As Mr. Joe put it in his lesson, "Unless you're ready to marry them and make them a parent, you shouldn't have relations with them."
I've seen the toll that pre-martial sex can take on someone's life. It's a whole mix of emotions and attachments that cannot be easily forgotten. Two will become one flesh (1 Corinthians 6:16). I think that is the part people forget when they decide to give his/her whole body to someone else. Once you have sex with someone, that person gets to keep a part of you, a part of your heart. It can be detrimental to your happiness. I'm no one to point fingers; I'm the chief of all sinners.
As a Christian, you have to stand strong in your convictions. Don't let someone talk you into something that you know you don't want to do or that you can't handle. Be a person after God's own heart; what better reward could you strive for? The way Mr. Joe concluded his lesson was by giving us hope in a dark world: "When you're being tempted, just remember: What better gift could you give your husband or wife than your pure self? That is love in its purest form."


I guess what I'm trying to say in all my rambling is you should let God lead your life. If you're making or have made decisions that are life changing and you feel like you can't go back, you can go back. God will love you today, tomorrow, and always. There is nothing you can do that can make Him not love you anymore. It's the best love in the world. Let God lead you to the person He wants you to be with. He has someone out there for you, someone who is absolutely perfect for you. Have patience and He'll show you them in His own time. Trust God with all you do, and His plan will far exceed any plans you have for yourself. YOU ARE GOD'S BEAUTIFUL CREATION... never, ever forget that! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment